Friday, 31 August 2018

The river Seine to Paris

Sunday 7th July
Moret-sur-Loing PK48 to Melun PK110
21.5km/2 locks/3.45hrs

We departed Moret-sur-Loing at 7.45am and joined the river Seine some 10 minutes later.  We don't have AIS fitted, so I was positioned at the bow acting as look out and straight away there was a large commercial coming upstream across our intended path to join the river Seine, so we held off until he had passed before we turned downstream.

Our first large commercial

Or first lock on the Seine, we shared it with a large, empty commercial.
Quite daunting as we watched it slowly come into the lock to join us.
Our ropes really strained as it went along by us.

Captain Kev, happy to be back on a river

We saw lots of commercial traffic, but the river is so big they are not a problem

Exiting our second lock with a large commercial waiting to enter

We got out of his way as quickly as we could.
We moored up at Melun PK110 at 11.30am.  We didn't manage to moor here the last time we came through 5 years ago as we didn't get through the lock in time before it shut.  Its a good mooring, but there is a lot of wash from the commercials going through.
Three commercials coming through Melun when we were moored up.
We enjoyed watching the commercials go through all day
We didn't go to bed until after midnight as we had some youths sitting on a bench near to the boat and we felt a bit uncomfortable going to bed while they were still there, but by midnight we were getting tired so we thought, oh well we will just have to go to bed, as soon as we switched our saloon lights off, they went, maybe they were waiting for us to go to bed before they left, so we should have gone to bed sooner!!!

Monday 8th July
Melun PK110 to Lock Évry PK138
28km/2 locks/4 hours 10 mins

We had a Wagtail as a passenger for a while

The mooring at lock Évry was great, we moored before the lock and as far upstream as we could as we'd read that commercials turn up quite late and sure enough three commercials arrived around 8pm and they left very early the next morning.

Tuesday 10th July
Lock Évry PK138 to Paris Port du Arsenal PK168
30km/4 locks/4 hours 45 mins

We shared two locks with three smallish commercials

Coming up to the junction with the river Marne

Its great seeing the road signs for Paris

The entrance to the Port du Arsenal coming into view

A better view of the entrance to the Port du Arsenal and Canal Saint-Martin

The lock taking us into the Port du Arsenal
Floating bollards but we advise using the ones on the opposite side as this
side the floating bollards don't have a cap so the ropes slip off!!

Our mooring for two weeks

We enjoyed our stay at Port du Arsenal despite the city noise and pollution
We had a very enjoyable two weeks in Paris, we walked miles and miles, used the Batobus once which was great, visited cathedrals, museums, exhibitions, had friends visit and the weather was amazing, a bit too hot, but better than rain.

Padlocks are everywhere
Bassilica Sacré Coeur

View from the Basillica Sacré Coeur

Walk back down to Monmatre

View from our mooring of Bastille monumnet

We visited Sainte-Chapelle, well worth going to see to enjoy
the amazing stain glass windows that have recently been restored, absolutely stunning
No more room for anymore padlocks!  Full of love, hope and promise!

We also visited an exhibition on the artwork by Gustav Klimt
 We went to a digital exhibition at Atelier des Lumière featuring work by Gustav Klimt, I think I enjoyed it more than Kev!
We took the Batobus along the Seine to Eiffel Tower 

We were in Paris for the football World Cup semi final and final.  Paris erupted when France got through to the final and then when they won, well the celebrations lasted ALL night.  We were pleased to be in a secure mooring at Port du Arsenal, the noise outside the port was tremendous, I don't know how the Parisians had the energy to make that much noise for so long!!  We were jolly glad England wasn't in the final, we might have had to hide our flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment